Sunday, January 29, 2023

Back to Pints with Jack

It's been just about a year since I announced that I was invited as a guest on the podcast Pints with Jack (the interview aired in April and can be listened to here). Apparently, it wasn't bad as I'm happy report that I was invited back,  

For those not familiar, Pints with Jack is a wonderful resource for all things related to C.S. Lewis. Its centerpiece is the podcast hosted by David Bates, Matt Bush, and Andrew Lazo. Every podcast season is dedicated to a different book of Lewis and the hosts do an amazing job exploring and analyzing these works. 

This year the podcast is dedicated to Out of the Silent Planet which is the first of Lewis' Space Trilogy. This is an important book in the development of Lewis' writing in general but particularly for Narnia. Perhaps shockingly many reviewers of Out of the Silent Planet did not realize its theological undertones! This caused Lewis to remark, "any amount of theology can now be smuggled into people’s minds under cover of romance without their knowing it" (note that Lewis uses the classic definition of the term romance).    

Besides the central book of every season, the Pints with Jack podcast hosts review a volume of The Chronicles of Narnia, have dedicated mini-themes related to Lewis, and host a plethora of guests. 

I'm looking forward to discussing with David a new book by theologian P. H. Brazier called, "A Hebraic Inkling" subtitled, "C. S. Lewis on Judaism and the Jews." I must admit that I was not aware of this book until David invited me to talk with him about it and I found its existence somewhat surprising. While there are mentions of Jews and Judaism in Lewis' works, and of course, Lewis eventually married a Christian convert from Judaism, I really didn't think there was much to say on the subject. 

Well, turns out I was wrong, because Brazier has plenty to say. 

So, I don't want to give anything away at this point, but please tune in and we'll probably expand on everything here after the podcast comes out (scheduled once again for April).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Aslan Choose Only the Pevensies?

Our last post ended with a couple of questions attempting to understand the connection between Aslan and Jesus. Specifically, if Aslan's...